The combination of chocolate, marshmallows and almonds in these sweet cakes is a taste of pure indulgence. I wanted to make these cupcakes grown up on the inside yet fun for my son on the outside. We worked together making the homemade flag toppers. I used a saved bag, glue and some toothpicks. And the great thing is that you can save them to use over again.
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk
1 ounce white chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons silvered almonds
3-1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and fold in. Stir in the milk, followed by the chocolate chips, marshmallows and almonds.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper liners and bake for about 8 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. To decorate, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan until almost boiling, then pour in the chocolate and let melt for about 5 minutes. Stir until smooth and creamy, then let cool for about 30 minutes until thick and glossy.
5. Spread the chocolate mixture over the cupcakes and decorate.
adapted from Cupcake Heaven