I’m a huge fan of any type of bread but one stuffed with cheese just makes it that much more appealing to me. I use a soft white cheddar cheese like Velveeta or Kraft. The feta cheese in Saudi is also much different than the one in the states. The one back home is crumbly and the one here is smooth and in a block kind of like butter but it’s also really good so much in fact that I cannot seem to get enough of the stuff. I use my cast iron skillet for cooking these. A cast iron skillet is really perfect when it comes to cooking any bread on the stove top.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Sunflower oil for frying
100 grams white cheddar cheese, diced
100 grams feta cheese, diced
1 scallion, chopped
1. In a small bowl add sugar, yeast and 1/4 cup of water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl add flour, oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and yeast mixture. Mix well and carefully add water a little at a time until dough like consistency has formed. Form into a ball.
3. Place a bit of oil onto hands and cover outside of dough. Place in a bowl in a warm place covered with a towel and for one hour until doubled in size.
4. Punch dough down, divide into 8 even balls. Cover and allow resting for 10 minutes.
5. Form each ball into a dish and add 2 tablespoons of cheese filling roll back into a ball then form another disk about 4×4-5×5 inches. Use a rolling pin if needed. (Cheese will stick out that’s okay).
6. In a cast iron skillet on medium heat add enough oil for shallow frying. Allow to get hot about 3 minutes then carefully place dough until each side is golden. Continue doing until all has been cooked.
Yields: 8 rounds