Homemade golden bagels are the perfect brunch. You can use regular all-purpose flour but if you happen to have bread flour use it and your bagels will be much larger. Creating a large hole in the center is important since as they bake the hole will close and what’s a bagel without a hole? These bagels freeze great and can even be sliced and toasted. Try kiri and Zatar, kiri and honey or good old fashioned cream cheese on yours.
If you want to add a topping such as sesame seeds, black seeds or garlic just to name a few then brush tops with egg white and sprinkle on pre-baking.
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 cups of warm water
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or bread flour)
1-1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
1. In a small bowl add yeast, sugar and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, yeast mixture and a bit of water (you may need more or less depending on where you live) until a smooth dough consistency has formed.
3. On a floured countertop, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough. Shape dough into a ball.
4. Place oil into hands and cover outside of dough. Place in a large bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 8-9 pieces. Shape each piece into a round the size of a tea saucer then carefully make a hole into each center about 2 inches wide. Place onto a baking sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Place bagels (a few at a time) into pan and boil for 1-1/2 minutes on each side.
7. Place bagels onto a baking sheet lined with a non-stick baking mat, parchment paper or oil. Bake for 10 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Yields: 8 bagels