This is my master recipe for be’chamel. This creamy white French sauce tastes perfect for a variety of things. I use it on top of several Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and European recipes just to name a few.
1-1/2 cups milk
1 small onion
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
4 parsley stems
1-1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a 2 quart saucepan on medium heat add milk, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley allow to warm stirring continuously so the milk does not stick to the bottom. Remove from heat and leave aside for 20 minutes so milk can absorb aromas. Pass through a strainer.
2. In a small skillet melt butter. Blend in the flour with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes to obtain a Roux.
3. Remove from the heat all milk and whisk continuously until thick. Return to high heat and allow sauce to come to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to sit 1-2 minutes until the sauce will cling to the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
MY best friend is Albanian and she always gives me delicious recipes. This dish is one that her mother in law and her made together. Paprika is Albanians most used spice and gives the food lots of flavor and color.
One whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (500 grams) egg noodles
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon Goya chicken seasoning
1. In a sauté pan, sauté chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon butter over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add chopped onion, carrots, salt, paprika and Goya seasoning. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium/low and add enough water to completely cover the chicken, boil for 40 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.
2. Preheat oven to 500 F and add egg noodles onto a large oven pan. Heat noodles in the oven for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth from the chicken into pan and add tomatoes. Cook until noodles are thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven, arrange chicken in the middle and serve!
Yields: 8 servings