Bir Al Walidayn is an old fashioned Saudi desert. This dessert can be described as a custard like recipe. Many Saudi desserts tend to have a custard or pudding like base. The sugar top is made just like that of crème caramel giving it a nice sweet finish. I would really recommend silicone baking ware. I used my pan for this dessert and it made the entire process so simple. You do have to be careful when putting your dishes into the oven but since I have had the pleasure of using them I do not think I could ever go back to regular pans.
5 tablespoons + 7 tablespoons sugar
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon orange blossom water
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. In a small saucepan on high heat add 5 tablespoons of sugar allow cooking until melts and turns golden like caramel.
2. In a large mixing bowl add eggs, milk, 7 tablespoons of sugar, cardamom, saffron and orange blossom water. Mix well with a hand mixer.
3. When caramel is ready pour into an 8×8 non-stick round pan, brush the sugar all over the bottom of the pan. Carefully pour milk mixture on top.
4. In a larger pan place round pan with mixture. Carefully add water into larger pan making a water bath for dessert. Cover the top of pans with aluminum foil and place into oven for 1 hour.
5. When finished allow to cool then carefully flip onto a serving plate. Cover and sit in fridge overnight.
Yields: 8 servings