A few weeks ago I bought one of the few Small Batch Baking cookbooks that is currently out. I have been wanting one for awhile because large amounts of baked good really do not go over well with my small family. We just can not eat a large amount of sweets in a few days. This book is absolutely perfect for those of us who love to bake and have small families. The first recipe I chose from the book was this delightful little recipe. I tweaked it a bit adding dates instead of raisins. I guess you could say this is not your everyday carrot cake and that's a good thing considering the chocolate added to it.
9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped dates
2 tablespoons beaten egg
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup grated carrots
3 tablespoons crushed pineapple (reserve 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice)
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Glaze:
1 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. In a food processor separately pulse walnuts, chocolate and carrots. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl add flour, oil, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Mix with a spoon.
2. Add cinnamon, vanilla, oil, egg, dates, carrots, pineapple and walnuts. Mix well with a spoon until combined.
3. Line 3 large jumbo muffin cups or 6 regular cups. Making sure to fill empty cups with water so pan does not scorch. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl add cream cheese, powdered sugar and pineapple juice. Whisk together until glaze is smooth.
5. Allow muffins to cool then glaze.
Yields: 3 jumbo or 6 regular muffins
Adapted from Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers
Nothing beats home cooking and a family meal in the comfort of your own home. If your appliances are on their last legs, search online for cookers and ovens now.Refrigeration
It's hard to imagine what we did before refrigeration. Now more than just a convenience, the fridge, along with fridge freezers, is a focal piece for the kitchen.Cleaning
Cleaning by hand is a luxury reserved for only the most delicate of our clothes and dishes. Let washing machines and the dishwasher do the dirty work for you.iPods
Whether it's through your earphones or speaker docks, iPods help to provide a continuous soundtrack to our lives. Shop for your new musical companion now.Laptops
Looking for a new laptop, or just new laptop accessories to update your existing computer? Search for the latest models and gadgets online.
Shop online or call
08456 049 049