I love to make these delicious meat pies with fries for a light dinner. Everyone enjoys them and you have leftovers to snack on. Yogurt is the secret mixture in Arabic and Turkish meat pies. Please remember if that any words in blue mean that they are a clickable link. I get a lot of emails asking how to make Arabic spice mix. If you click the words it will take you to the recipe. And do not forget my 'How to make perfect bread' post if you need help with the dough.
2 pounds fine ground lamb or beef
4-5 garlic cloves, mashed
1/4 bunch of mint, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Arabic Spice Mix
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil+ more for dough
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups water
1. Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the warm water in a small bowl mix and set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until frothy.
2. In a large bowl add flour, oil salt and water a bit at a time until dough consistency forms. Add a bit of oil on hands and carefully pat around oil (do not work in). Cover dough with a towel and sit in a warm place until doubled about an hour.
3. Meanwhile, In large bowl add mint, onions, tomato paste, pine nuts, pepper, Arabic spice mix, meat and yogurt. Combine well.
4. Pre-heat oven to 375F. Divide the dough into 24 balls and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll thin 15-20 cm circles. Spread approximately 2 tablespoons of meat mixture evenly over the pastries and arrange on a lightly greased baking tray.
5. Bake until dough and meat are fully cooked. Serve with laban and lemon wedges.
Yields: 24 pies