Aug 14, 2010
Herbed Oven Eggs with Greek Pita Bread
These flavor packed eggs are great for breakfast or brunch. Each one is filled with enough to fill you up as well. As you can see from the picture the tomato mixture rises up above the eggs while baking and this is just simply delicious. Greek pita bread has always been my favorite type of pita because of its softness. This easy to make version is cooked on the stove top. You can cook and then place into a bag to use for later as well. It taste great fresh or leftover.
Herbed Oven Eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 scallion, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1 garlic clove, smashed
1. In a small bowl add feta, scallion, cilantro and parsley, mix well and sit aside. On medium heat in a 4-inch skillet add oil, tomatoes and garlic, saute until tender. Divide cheese mixture between two individual ramekins then divide tomato mix tire as well.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Break an egg over each mix. Place into oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Yields: 2 servings
Greek Pita Bread
3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups water, roughly at room temperature
2 tablespoons shortening
1 tablespoon sunflower oil plus more for hands
1. In a small mixing bowl add yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Sit aside for at least 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt and shortening. Mix together well. Add yeast mixture and a bit of water at a time until a soft dough consistency forms.
2. Place dough into a ball and cover outside with oil (do not work into dough). Place in a bowl, cover with a towel and sit in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.
3. Punch dough down then divide into 5 balls. Allow to rest covered with a damp towel for 15 minutes. In an iron skillet on medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil. Roll each ball into a circle (about 6 inches). Place one at a time into hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear on each side. Keep warm in a kitchen towel.
Yields: 8 pitas