2 cups lentils, washed
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
5 cups water + 8-1/2 cups water
salt to taste
1 tablespoon ghee
2 teaspoons cumin
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
3 dried lemons
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1. In a 4-quart saucepan add lentils, onion, garlic and 5 cups water. On high heat allow soup to boil. After the water has evaporated from the mixture place hand blender in the pot and blend well.
2. In an 4-quart saute pan saute onions with ghee, add cumin. Stir in tomato paste and then add lentil mixture. Add 8-1/2 cups water, potatoes and dried lemons. Let mixture boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Yields: 8 servings
3 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1-1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1-1/2 teaspoons of caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon of saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon of cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1. Using a mortar or food processor, grind all ingredients except for the turmeric. Stir in the turmeric and store in an airtight jar until needed.
Rose and cardamom what a match made in heaven. These custards are light, fragrant and delicious. You can have a fancy dessert on your table in no time with this easy recipe.
4 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons custard powder (not instant)
2 tablespoon rose water
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Mix custard powder with 1/2 cup of milk until smooth, add 3.5 cups of milk, cardamom and sugar into a 4-quart saucepan.
2. Bring mixture to a full boil, stirring frequently.
3. Remove milk from heat. Add in the custard powder slowly stirring all the time.Place milk back onto low heat stir constantly until smooth and custard has thickened for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add rose water, mixing well.
4. Allow custard to cool then add whipped cream and pistachios, serve chilled.
Yields: 6 servings
This is such a spectacular drink with the perfect mixes of all flavors. This chai has also proven to be a reader favorite. Chai in Arabic simply means Tea.
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamom pods
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon loose black tea
Sugar (to taste)
1. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, ginger, milk and water to a 4-quart saucepan on medium heat, covered.
2. When the mixture comes to a slight boil add sugar and tea, stirring often.
3. Allow tea to come to a boil, for 1 minute. Strain spices and serve.